Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Stage 6

Tuff day today for me. It was scheduled as the longest so far still 300 miles, and right off the bat Erik Bahl and myself miss a turn and add about 30 miles to our day. Worse was the 45 minutes we lost, that put us in the back, to close to the chase truck. We ran hard for about an hour and made up some time, then the rain started. And rain it did.

About 15 minutes into the rain, I am sitting on the side of the road, trying to dry a magneto. In the pouring rain. I decided I was only making it worse, put everything back together, and it still would not run. I got it firing, then dumped the float bowl looking for water. Just before the truck came along, I got it started.

The next 30 miles the rain continued, and the bike was barley running. I finally stopped for gas, and it would not start again. Then I noticed fuel leaking from my rear aux tank, and when I tried to tighten the peacock, it broke off, pouring gas everywhere. After siphoning the fresh 2.5 gallons on the ground I rigged a shutoff and got the bike started. It ran about 1 mile, then died.
I finally figured out the line was air locked from the missing rear tank, and after venting the line, I got going again. Again just in time.

The bike made it on in to Sedalia Mo. without any penalties. Still running a perfect score. The weather made it rough on everyone, with both chase trailers full and people still on the road.

We went over the bike pretty well, and are ready to try again tomorrow.

Headed west.

3 comments:

  1. Follow you on the tracker today was a scare! And when Erik went ahead, I thought you where toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie,
      I thought I was done to. A little luck and a lot of perseverance. A lot of us had fueling problems, so we must have got some water or trash. Motor running good, tap pets have not moved. It's the little things.

      Delete